Just to start off with a clear air I will admit right now that I am a diehard Vienna fan and not big on NNWL.  My personal preferences aside, let the match begin!

Interface

Many people don't like Vienna's interface but I personally find it acceptable.  For those of you who don't know NNW (but not Lite) recently received a interface lift.  Let's take a look at the two apps now.


My biggest issue with NNWL is its interface.  I can't pin down a single part of it that annoys me but I find the whole package to be rather off-putting.  However, this is purely a visual thing, I think the interface is perfectly navigatable and consistent with other OS apps.  I think for someone who is less of an aesthete the NNWL interface will do fine.  (The interface is also much improved in the new version of NNW).  One last little minor thing that I don't like about the NNW(L) environment is the non-standard dock badge (which you can judge for yourself).


As I said earlier, many people take issue with the Vienna interface.  Two issues that tend to repeat are the brushed metal and its inconsistencies with the standard OS X environment (namely, the controls at the bottom and the thick window border).  Strangely, for all of my love of consistency these things don't bug me.  This may be because I like my news-reader to be more of a widgetesque app (a simple program that is is simple and streamlined).  One option that people like about Vienna is the three-column view (shown) that is not available in NNWL.  Yet another nice thing about Vienna is the option to use different styles.

NewNetWire Lite: 7/10 - An intuitive but less-than-gorgeous interface.
Vienna: 8/10 - A controversial interface that I feel is diverse and effective.


Features

Now, even though I'm not big on bloated feature-full RSS readers I know some people are.  I'm sorry to say it but Vienna wins out here too.  Although free, Vienna has many of the features that are in the full version of NNW but absent from the Lite one (these include an integrated browser and a bunch of other stuff).  Of course, you could shell out $30 for a couple more features and an interface you may find more appealing but unless you have a hedge fund to burn I'd suggest Vienna for features.

NewsNetWire Lite: 7/10 - Has the features I need but not enough for everyone.
Vienna: 9/10 - The developer(s) could make good money with features like these.

Overall

Vienna has one with a fairly slim lead.  I feel that this is one that is really up to the user.  It depends what you are looking for in an reader.  Please share you opinions.

Vienna - Free
NewsNetWire (Lite) - Lite is free, $29.95 for the full version.

P.S. Here is a screenshot of how my Vienna looks, in case you're interested.
P.P.S Ignore any misspellings...it's complicated.

0 glowing praise(s):


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.